Bear Necessities

Monday, March 12, 2007

Girly Fridays and Showy Saturdays!

Friday was a "Pretty Princess" day. After work I decided to get my nails done and splurged and got my eyebrows waxed. It hurt, but it's nice to have two again! I figured I might as well go all out since I was planning to dress up for my Saturday date with Tom. He found all this funny, but cute.

Saturday was some cleaning and playing fashion show for the cat. I was very surprised to find that being 12 lbs lighter is actually noticeable! There was no, "God I look fat in this" sadness. It wasn't perfect, obviously, but it wasn't too bad either. I decided to hold off putting on my skirt until the last possible moment as it was black velvet and I have a cat with white hair, so when Tom arrived he was confused to see me in jeans. I had told him earlier that I was dressing up, he didn't have to though. I was tickled to find him in a sweater and grey slacks, because he figured he should dress too. It was cute. He didn't quite get the shoes right, but I'm not complaining...the effort was perfect enough.

He also had a surprise for me, a hard cover copy of "Marvel Zombies." I know, you're thinking that isn't particularly romantic, but it is to me. I'm not a big fan of mainstream comics and he is. I like the darker anti-hero types, not out to save the world, but to do a job. My rant about Superman can wait until later. Anyhow, when we were in NY we passed a blow up for "Marvel Zombies" and I commented that it looked really interesting. So when he was at the comic store he thought of me and picked it up. Once again, geek dating is different, but still pretty sweet.

Soon off we went to see "Defending the Caveman" at the Kimmel Center. This is basically a comedy about the differences between men and women, how they really are like 2 different cultures. It was quite funny and we had a great time. I had to laugh when he told me I was more fun now that I could walk, not that I wasn't before but...

My only complaint about the show was that it was in the basement. Not a problem, except for the price of tickets I would have preferred not to be sitting in a folding chair with the feeling that after the performance they'd have to clear everything out for a basketball game. But I'm being picky, I know.

After the show we headed to The City Tavern to meet Tom's parents for dinner. We were early, so we waited in what can only be described as as a sitting room. There was a woman playing the harpsichord in colonial costume. The restaurant has a colonial theme, it's claim being that you will eat food like what the founding fathers would have had. Chinese waiters in knickers was quite a sight. We were soon moved upstairs to our table to wait for the rest of our party.

Upstairs...the place has 3 floors with wooden stairs. A lot of wooden stairs. My instincts say this place was not handicap accessible and those stairs were a bit of a challenge for me, but I made it, only to be informed that the restrooms were on the 3rd floor. Yup, no potty for me! I decided to try a porter and Tom had a "shrub" while we waited. This seemed to be the colonial equivalent of a Shirley Temple. He liked it. The beer was okay, but I was a little surprised it was served in a wine glass. Soon his parents arrived and they placed their drink orders, each ordering a different beer.

We chatted a bit an looked over the menu. Time passed and no drinks, so finally I got our waiter's attention and he asked if we were ready to order. Once I told him we were still waiting for drinks I was apparently put on his "pain in the ass" list. Oh well. The menu was interesting, if expensive. It wasn't particularly large, but then it was colonial cooking so I wasn't surprised. I had the chicken breast madeira, which was fine if very small, Tom had the smallest rack of lamb I've ever seen, Mom had the turkey pot pie and Dad had steak with gulf shrimp. No one raved about dinner, but the conversation was good.

I once again learned more intimate details about Tom's family than I expected. His mother and I just started chatting away once they sat down. He is tickled by this, and I enjoy talking to her so it works out. I don't think she gets a lot of opportunity to talk, his dad's pretty chatty too. I laugh because I spent a lot of the evening listening, which is a nice change from those parental dinners where people are searching for things to say.

It was only when the check came that things got weird. The beers were $7.25 a piece, which I felt was outrageous, especially since we each ordered different beer and amazingly they all looked and tasted the same. The total for the check was $194, which was expected. Tom put in $100, mom and dad had a gift certificate to the place for $50 and a Visa gift card for $50 and all was good.

Then the waiter came back saying they didn't accept debit cards. We explained it wasn't a debit card, it was a gift card. Nope, can't take it. So we stared at each other awkwardly for a bit until I couldn't take it anymore and just gave the water my credit card, taking Tom's cash. On our way out Dad mentioned that his steak was over done and the shrimp tasted "funny". Here's hoping he didn't end up getting his tummy pumped later. We also mentioned to the manager the issue with the gift card. His "Aw, that's a shame" wasn't exactly heart felt.

But the evening was full of good company, so the little things are just a warning to others. I enjoyed myself and it was nice to get out and do something other than a movie.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home