Bear Necessities

Thursday, January 11, 2007

Perspective

I spent last night with friends I used to work with. It became an evening of "You could have died if..." I'm not fond of those conversations. I know I almost died. I also know one of these days I'll stop making jokes about it and I'll cry. Just haven't gotten there yet. What I have gotten is a better perspective...I think.

Lots of people say "life's short" after being sick. I did it for a while. I guess it kind of is short, if you look at it in context with all of history. But I've always seen the years stretching before me, and I plan to have at least 30 more birthdays. This doesn't seem so short to me. Lot's of opportunities to do good, to mess up, to tell people you love them, to laugh, to cry, to take chances and to embarrass yourself. I think the important thing is to actually do those things.

Why sit on the couch? If you're sad cry. Get it out, and then get out. Call a friend, take a walk, do something. If you're happy share it! Spread the smile. And if you love someone, tell them. I'm not saying to pledge your undying devotion to that guy you've bumped into at the grocery store once or twice (that would be really creepy), but tell the people you care about that you appreciate them. And there is no reason not to ask that grocery store guy out for coffee...just don't make wedding plans. The worst he can say is no. No one has died from embarrassment and you don't have to wonder "what if".

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home