Bear Necessities

Sunday, March 25, 2007

A Moment of Silence

The world is much quieter today...

Drew was amazingly talented and tenacious. He was also a good father and a great teddy bear of a man. He took time with other artists, to let them pick his brain and let them learn that if you really want something you have to work for it.

Through blood, sweat, tears and debt he published Lusiphur on his own...a gritty book I can only loosely refer to as a "comic". It was dark but strangely positive, much like its creator. I think I fell in love with that weird soul somewhere between "I Lusiphur" and "Poison Elves".

The Drew I knew wasn't convinced of his own talent, but would go head to head with any soul who didn't give him props for the power of his sometimes aggravating determination. As he was fond of saying, his success was 10% talent, 90% sweat...though we'd all argue the talent ratio.

To me he was a man who wrote the comic I loved best...and he was also the guy I traded weird dating stories with and on a few occasions threatened to tie up and have my way with. My rockabilly loving, Misfits blaring knight in rusted armor. He was quick to care, and much easier to hurt than most would believe.

His obituary says his death was unexpected...those who knew him have watched him battle and come back so many times, a little weaker each time, but still a smart ass. There is only so much stress such a big heart can take. When I got the call that you had left us I was crushed, but glad your pain had ended.

I miss you baby...we all do...but I know you're tearing it up wherever you are, and keeping an eye out for Miss Mary.

Thank you for all you gave us...we were lucky to have you as long as we did. I'm off raise the bottle to you baby, and just so you get one last bit of corrupting in, I'm lighting up. You were the best...


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home