Grumpy Blog
Warning: I'm Grumpy
There could be many reasons for the grumpy today, but whatever the main one, I'm grumpy. I spent most of yesterday with my hands over my ears. You know that feeling you get like you're underwater and every vibration seems to thud in your brain? Yeah, that was yesterday...and today, but happily only one side today. It's still uncomfortable.
So around 11:45 yesterday morning I get a voice mail from Tom. He had some dizziness and numbness on his right side (face, arm and leg) so he was in the emergency room. Of course his cell was low on battery so he turned it off. I left a message and proceeded to worry through the day. When I hadn't heard anything an hour later I IM'd his friend Cathy to see if she had any info (I figured if it was serious and he couldn't get through to family or me she'd be the next call). She hadn't heard anything and we chatted out a bit of worry then I told her I'd keep her posted.
He called around 4:30 to tell me he was home. They did blood work and a CAT scan then decided it was just stress. I'm sure since he doesn't have health insurance that the bill will add to this stress. I offered to come up and bring him dinner after work mostly because he worried me and I wanted to see for myself he was okay. He said he'd like pizza so I went with that. I then e-mailed Cathy to fill her in and thank her for fretting with me. And yes, I did tell him I had talked to Cathy.
When I got up there he seemed good and said he felt better. He seemed a little confused at my worry since his mom (a nurse) wasn't concerned. I pointed out that his mom had talked to him, I had not. We talked about his stress, and it seems I am part of it, "in a good way". What the hell does that mean? He said he read something about positive stress like having a baby. I don't need diaper changes or cry all night and am capable of looking after myself. I don't see how it compares, but maybe I'm missing something. Anyhow, we had pizza, watched a little TV then I headed home.
I usually go to WW on Thursday nights with Jill, but since she was out of town and this drama popped up I decided to go this morning at 7 AM instead. Lost less than a pound...but it's all rather blurry since I wasn't close to awake. Perhaps this is another reason for my mood. The ride to work was uneventful, though the whole weird ear thing is getting on my nerves.
As usual I had a "good morning" chat with Tom where I once again felt like my worry of yesterday was incomprehensible. Then I confronted the danger that comes from reading someone else's blog...Here is his take on yesterday, the brackets cut out a conversation about getting financial aid to pay for the visit:
"While there, I made two calls on my cell which had a low charge...one to Mom (who said it was a good idea and then went to bed since she works nights), and one to Liz, who only got a voicemail message. Anyway, some blood work and a CAT scan later, and the diagnosis was it was probably stress. [...] I got home, called my folks, who were unconcerned, and then Liz, who was worried and had apparently passed the worry along by chatting up Cathy. Liz came over later and paid for a pizza."
Warms the cockles of your heart, doesn't it? It's probably just his stoic nature, but it made me feel like a pest. As I said, the dangers of reading someone else's blog.
Ah well, more coffee should fix some of the grumpy...and it is Friday!
There could be many reasons for the grumpy today, but whatever the main one, I'm grumpy. I spent most of yesterday with my hands over my ears. You know that feeling you get like you're underwater and every vibration seems to thud in your brain? Yeah, that was yesterday...and today, but happily only one side today. It's still uncomfortable.
So around 11:45 yesterday morning I get a voice mail from Tom. He had some dizziness and numbness on his right side (face, arm and leg) so he was in the emergency room. Of course his cell was low on battery so he turned it off. I left a message and proceeded to worry through the day. When I hadn't heard anything an hour later I IM'd his friend Cathy to see if she had any info (I figured if it was serious and he couldn't get through to family or me she'd be the next call). She hadn't heard anything and we chatted out a bit of worry then I told her I'd keep her posted.
He called around 4:30 to tell me he was home. They did blood work and a CAT scan then decided it was just stress. I'm sure since he doesn't have health insurance that the bill will add to this stress. I offered to come up and bring him dinner after work mostly because he worried me and I wanted to see for myself he was okay. He said he'd like pizza so I went with that. I then e-mailed Cathy to fill her in and thank her for fretting with me. And yes, I did tell him I had talked to Cathy.
When I got up there he seemed good and said he felt better. He seemed a little confused at my worry since his mom (a nurse) wasn't concerned. I pointed out that his mom had talked to him, I had not. We talked about his stress, and it seems I am part of it, "in a good way". What the hell does that mean? He said he read something about positive stress like having a baby. I don't need diaper changes or cry all night and am capable of looking after myself. I don't see how it compares, but maybe I'm missing something. Anyhow, we had pizza, watched a little TV then I headed home.
I usually go to WW on Thursday nights with Jill, but since she was out of town and this drama popped up I decided to go this morning at 7 AM instead. Lost less than a pound...but it's all rather blurry since I wasn't close to awake. Perhaps this is another reason for my mood. The ride to work was uneventful, though the whole weird ear thing is getting on my nerves.
As usual I had a "good morning" chat with Tom where I once again felt like my worry of yesterday was incomprehensible. Then I confronted the danger that comes from reading someone else's blog...Here is his take on yesterday, the brackets cut out a conversation about getting financial aid to pay for the visit:
"While there, I made two calls on my cell which had a low charge...one to Mom (who said it was a good idea and then went to bed since she works nights), and one to Liz, who only got a voicemail message. Anyway, some blood work and a CAT scan later, and the diagnosis was it was probably stress. [...] I got home, called my folks, who were unconcerned, and then Liz, who was worried and had apparently passed the worry along by chatting up Cathy. Liz came over later and paid for a pizza."
Warms the cockles of your heart, doesn't it? It's probably just his stoic nature, but it made me feel like a pest. As I said, the dangers of reading someone else's blog.
Ah well, more coffee should fix some of the grumpy...and it is Friday!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home