Bear Necessities

Tuesday, October 02, 2007

The Argument for Public Transportation

Yesterday I was in an accident...no worries, neither I nor my car were hurt. Well, the car has a little scratch.

I was the third car stopped at a light by a gas station. A rather impatient man wanted out of the gas station parking lot, so he was pounding on his horn. The van in front of me decided to reverse to let him out. Rather quickly too. And though I laid on my own horn, it rammed right into me.

There is something terrible about being in a situation where all you can do is plant your foot on your break (so you don't roll into the car behind you) and watch another vehicle hit you. Almost as fun is watching that vehicle speed off after doing this. Sigh. Part of me wanted to give chase, part of me was fairly sure they had no insurance, and all of me just wanted to go home.

Oh, and the guy coming out of the parking lot gave me a weird look. Thanks.

As I said, the car was fine, I was fine, and I was meeting Frank for dinner and a show which meant the boy was getting hugged within an inch of his life. So I went home, a bit frazzled. I stayed frazzled and was annoyed by this which didn't help things. Happily I found him at the train station, hung on him for a minute and we headed for dinner. In the parking lot another car tried to reverse into me. I was almost a car length away, so really there was no reason for it. There was no impact, but Frank commented that there just may be a target on my car. As we sat outside eating dinner we watched another car barely miss mine...I wasn't looking forward to getting back in it now.

We headed to the show, only to watch a car in front of me make a daring left right in front of an oncoming car. Frank was in the middle of a story when I remarked on the turn, he'd seen it too and was in mid-comment about the close call...I had focused on the fact that the car made a left onto a one way street in the wrong direction. Daring and stupid in this case are interchangeable.

Eventually we found parking, when I gave up and parked illegally no longer caring. The company and the show were fantastic, and just what the doctor ordered for both of us since his day had been more frustrating that anyone really needs to deal with.

On my way in to work this morning I watched more greatest hits from the traffic blooper reel and began contemplating taking public transportation to work. This was cemented by the lack of parking in front of my building. I'm thinking a little experiment may be in order.

I think I'm just done with driving this week.

1 Comments:

  • At 4:21 PM, Blogger Monika Kruemmling said…

    gee, I just thought it was me! in the past two weeks I can't count how many people have turned left in front of me or tried to squish me by merging right into me. but then, I figure noone sees motorcycles and I assume everyone will lunge in front of me or bogart my lane at any time... it's what all motorcyclists must assume. but apparently it's just craziness in the world right now. people can be ultra-retarded when put behind a wheel. makes me want to attach a rocket launcher to my bike. :)

    so, what's your public transport route look like from Ambler to Norristown?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home