Bear Necessities

Wednesday, October 31, 2007

PEX Decompression Party

Saturday was a new adventure: The Philadelphia Experiment (PEX) Decompression and Halloween Ball.
My original plan had been to go as a fairy and I am quite proud of the costume I made, but with the rain on Saturday I decided to swap it out for the cat costume I was wearing to Dan and Jill's this weekend. It turned out to be a very good choice.

The party was starting at 10 PM so I'd been advised to sleep as much as possible through the day. Napping is always more fun with company so I headed to casa de Musick around noon. Frank needed to finish sewing his costume so I napped off and on, occasionally cracking an eyelid to offer a suggestion or help with patterning. Things took longer than expected so sadly he did not get his zzz in, but the costume looked great. He made a handsome Jedi in fact, and yes eventually there will be pictures.
Around midnight we caught a cab and headed to the party which was in a warehouse off 5th street. It was the 3 floors of creative chaos: Multiple DJs, fire spinning, ice luge, hoola hooping, dancing, deco, black lights and fog machines. And oh the costumes! Though a few folks were plain clothed or just wearing bathing suits most everyone really went all out. A few of my favorites were Hunter S. Thompson and Sean from "Sean of the Dead". The one that took me the longest to figure out was the two people who passed me in identical red track suits. It wasn't until I saw one of them standing with a guy in a sweat band that I realized a group had come as the characters from "The Royal Tenenbaums". Tremendously creative.
A new twist on an old costume was the addition of glow sticks to the inside of inflatable sumo wrestler outfits. Glowy! There were also multiple Alice and Mad Hatters, a Space Ghost, and multiple fairies. It wasn't the abundance of winged women that made me glad I'd decided to change costumes, but the trouble they were having with their wings. It was a packed house and they were getting squished. I was just happy to be able to keep my tail attached!
Gaian Mind had their own deco space, lovingly tricked out by Mel, Frank, Lynn and others. Lots of black light fun and comfy couches for tired legs. Lynn came as the ever popular Cutie Honey, Mel was the sexiest ladybug I've yet to see and her Pat was a rather interesting honeybee. Somewhere around 3 AM those tired legs and minds of ours decided to call it a night. That is when the Adventure of the Cab began.
Usually Frank leaves these things as the sun is coming up and has never had a problem calling for a cab. After being hung up on by one cab company and put on hold for an eternity by another, he finally got yet another company to take the address and then they hung up...we weren't entirely sure they were sending a cab. After a little his phone rang and it was the dispatcher asking if we'd seen our cab because it was there...why no we hadn't. So before Frank hung up I ventured into the street to see a cab about 2 doors down surrounded by people. We managed to get to it before someone decided to be "Frank". We shared the ride with a non-costumed party goer named Alfred who was carrying a juice box and small box of raisin bran. You know, out of all the interesting things I saw that night I think that stuck me as the weirdest and I couldn't tell you why.
Safely back at Frank's we shed smokey clothes and passed out until Sunday afternoon, where upon another lazy Sunday ensued.
Does it get better? We shall see. We are at Monie's tonight for trick or treating and then the post Halloween fete at Jill and Dan's this weekend.
Whoo hoo!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home